Thursday, September 10, 2009

Gallery Opening

I thoroughly enjoyed myself tonight at the opening! Everything was planned out and placed really well, right down to the design of how the vegetables were served outside the gallery. Some of my favorite pieces were "TV Dinner" by Robert Heinecken, "Book Spine" by Joyce Niemanas, and Daniel Kaufmann's "#5". I think these pieces intrigued me the most because of the many dimensions each contained. For example, "Book Spine" was a truly realistic-looking photograph; it seemed as though the fabric of the book was right there for you to touch. I'm very interested in learning what techniques and camera Joyce uses at the round table discussion tomorrow. I also liked "TV Dinner" because it wasn't just simply a photo; it was on a distorted canvas to which Heinecken then added pieces to make objects such as the cigarettes pop out. It's a shame he isn't with us anymore..I would have loved to be able to ask him about this piece and many of the others. Overall, I think tonight was a great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment