Sunday, September 13, 2009

Observations...

I am really glad I had the opportunity to attend the Residual Reality exhibit. The artists, along with their pieces of work, were truly amazing and inspirational. The gallery itself looked great. I could tell that everyone worked really hard to put this show together. In addition, the turnout at the opening reception was awesome! Although I liked all of the pieces, there were definitely a few that stood out.

First of all, Ken Josephson's Postcard Collage series were some of my favorites. I love how he used color to create a focal point. In addition, I really liked that he combined the postcards with the actual pictures to create this illusion of the different places. While standing in front of these pieces, I started to think about traveling. I have not had many chances to travel but I do plan to in the near future. His work is definitely creative and timeless.

I also found that Daniel Kaufmann's room series were very intriguing. When I saw room #6, I immediately thought about college life and college kitchens. It almost looked like a typical college apartment with the galley kitchen, mismatched appliances, and the random placement of things. I really like how he chose to have a top view of the kitchen; it gives a different perspective. Although I had to tilt my head here and there, I really like that he chose to distort certain parts of the kitchen. In addition, room # 5 was also very interesting. I am a big fan of HGTV and this room definitely reminded me of the different home makeover shows. This was a very "real" photograph. I almost felt like I was either in the room or looking through a window. He has a really unique way of portraying different rooms.

Overall, I had a great time at this exhibit. Not to mention, the round table discussion was also very beneficial. I wish I could have stayed for the whole thing. I feel like the discussion helped me better understand the artists even though I did not have the chance to actually talk with them one on one. The one thing I really found powerful was the fact that all of the artists were connected in one way or another through mentoring. I feel that this event served as a source of motivation and encouragement for students. This was a very enjoyable and worth wile experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment