Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Reality of it all....

I have never had the opportunity to attend an opening at an art gallery, so when I had the chance to see the opening of Residual Reality, I was excited for the experience. I kind of knew what to expect, but still had that sense of wonder. Upon walking into the gallery, I was quite impressed with the way things were set up. Everything was organized, the mood was calm and collected, and I was anxious to begin looking around. 
Things started off a little slow for me, but the excitement was stimulated once I got in contact with a few of the artists. I soon spotted Ken Josephson talking to a young woman by his artwork and casually came into the conversation. The young woman asked Ken about his travel. He explained that travel for him is stimulating and it is one of his true passions, as it brings new perspective to things. Ken's photography was based on the aspect of time. He would take a photograph from the past and future and mesh parts of them together. This concept looked cool with the contrast of the black and white images with color, as well as the contrast of contemporary and modern architecture. Ken commented on how he found the differences between buildings/establishments interesting and the idea of how things change over time. Ken's mindset got me thinking how travel can influence my future goals for my career. 
After talking to Ken, I had the pleasure of meeting Joyce Neimanas. She was spunky and very eager to tell me about her work. Joyce's art is done using a scanner and computer technology. This was a different take on photography, but opened my eyes to all the possibilities. Her pieces, one being 'Yellow Legal Tablet', showed a great deal of texture and detail. I also enjoyed her projection of the different types of feet. These were still shots of several foot positions/movements that were composed together as a slideshow, making it seem as the feet were dancing. This concept was something new and interesting for me to see. 
All in all, I had a great experience at the opening of Residual Reality. I was impressed with not only the turnout of people, but the many artists who were able to be available to talk about their work and provide answers for questions that anyone may have had. This showcase was a great introduction to the class as a whole, being that it exhibited different forms of photography and gave us some insight to older and more recent artists. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment