Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Residual Reality Experience

I had never been to an opening of an exhibition before so when I heard we were required to go for my class I was a little nervous. To my surprise the second I entered the exhibition I found myself interpreting the pieces on a deeper level I knew myself capable of. I really enjoyed interpreting Joyce Neimanas' work. My favorite was "Yellow Legal Tablet" because I looked at it as a piece of history. It was a blank notepad but parts of the yellow ripped out sheets remained at the top. I envisioned a writers struggle and frustration of writers block; sitting there trying to put together a story and ripping out the pages after each failed attempt. Each of Joyce's pieces seemed to be a memory of some sort (the Grandma/Grandpa letters, the book spine, and the calendar). Another favorite of mine was "Keeping Time" by Masumi Shibata. I viewed the big inhales and exhales to represent deep breathes while the little inhales and exhales in-between might be short breathes, almost like hyperventilating. I thought the hour hand was creatively placed right before the next exhale, never allowing the person breathing to exhale therefore holding their breath forever.
In the back corner I noticed people were entering a room behind a black curtain and I was a little nervous to see what was behind it. I walked in and saw the lighted doves then realized they were coming out of a structure shaped into a human neck and head. I right away thought of peace, being symbolized by doves, but then also how we need to speak out. Everyone has a voice and peace can only come from within. I thought this was a perfect symbol of this. I also want to share my interpretation on Jyl's "Pinhole Camera Apparatus". I related the cameras to a group of people that have to work together. The cameras are all connected and are opened at the same time. They all see the same thing but from a different angle or perspective. Just like different minds see things in unique ways when asked to view the same thing. I now have a better appreciation for the piece. Overall I enjoyed the exhibition more than I expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment