Monday, September 14, 2009

My Experience with Residual Reality

The residual reality show was an eye-opening experience for me. I learned a lot about not only the artists that were present, but also how photography is perceived. I felt this exhibit was quite worthwhile and I was happy I was able to attend. I had a chance to speak with two of the artists whose work I admired the most. It made for an eventful night. I felt the purpose of this exhibit was to connect the onlookers with photography and the many forms it comes in. I talked to Daniel Kaufman who also expressed how one of the best things about the show was that it will open the eyes of the community into what photography really entails, which isn’t just an ordinary picture.

I was happy I got a chance to speak with Ken Josephson too. I really appreciated his post cards and they were probably my favorite pieces in the show. I like how time was combined in a way with his work. The time lapses varied in each post card piece, but the way the old and new in the photos blended together made it very interesting. In the Chicago Bus station post card for example you were able to see what had changed just in a 10-year span of time. I felt the pieces of the photos were put together very well. The buildings from the new and old photos fit together perfectly. Josephson mentioned to me that Chicago was a place very near to his heart. He also loves Europe because of the history they have and the fact that they appreciate the history that they have, and the art they enjoy as well. He’s even been invited by the French center of Photography to work on various projects.

Seeing the art is one thing, but I was especially pleased to have met the people behind the pieces as well and get their take on their own work. I love learning about people and was very excited to have had the opportunity to meet such interesting people who have created such unique pieces. This show was very worthwhile as it has opened my eyes to what photography can be and I hope it has done the same for others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment