Monday, September 14, 2009

Residual Reality Show

I will say, for the must part, I really enjoyed this show! I think it's so cool to see how different artists can put twists on things like photography and video and make such unique creations.
I think my favorite pieces were Ken Josephson's post card series. The ones on display were all from Chicago. I especially liked the one of the fountain. I would really love to se some of his other post card works from other places. I had an opportunity to talk with him and the show and he was so friendly and willing to share about his art.
I also had the chance to talk with Daniel Kaufmann. We talked about his home series where he searched and pasted different items to create a room. I couldn't believe it took him about a year to complete one of his pieces. He said it made him feel somewhat like an interior designer putting all those rooms together. Daniel explained to me that his pieces resemble what we might see in a magazine. Something like a picture perfect home that we see and we want to have. I even feel this way with my dorm room. Like I need to buy all these things to make it look like that. But the truth is is that no one's home is really like that, because it's all staged. It's just a model that they took a picture of. But we are consumed by this desire to try and create our own perfect home and perfect room like we see in the media, like so many other things.
I think this show was a fun way to start out the semester, and I'm really glad I was able to attend and speak with a few of the artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment